The internet has changed everything for existing industries and it has created entirely new occupational fields. Knowing how to market your business and create exposure for it on the internet is crucial to sustaining and growing it in this day-in-age. Unless internet marketing and web development is your business, you will most likely need to find a digital marketing agency that can go to bat for you on the internet to help you create a formidable presence that will be felt for anyone who is looking for what you can provide. There are many things that a web developer needs to do in order to make you a website that is welcoming and effective and here are a few of those things:
1. Use the color wheel, do not abuse it – Unless you work for an art gallery that sells works done by Andy Warhol or a paint store who specializes in providing bright, vibrant paints then it probably is not a good idea to use too many intense colors. Human eyeballs are generally very sensitive and can only take so much vivid color before they start to become strained. Bright colors are fine to use sparingly if they match your company’s logo and color scheme, but only so much is considered effective. Colors affect the human psyche and it makes certain associations based on certain colors, and a web developer who knows their stuff will understand how to use the power of color to your business’ advantage.
2. Design it to be responsive – A growing segment of the American population only has one computer and it more often than not is their smart phone. Many people who have more than one computer have a laptop but just as often it is a tablet which normally has a much smaller screen. What this trend has produced is a need for websites to be specially designed to handle viewing from smaller screens for a good experience, no matter what kind of device the website is viewed from. Just like with people, the first impression is the most important and your website should look good whether someone is viewing it from a smart phone screen or a normal computer. A formatting or sizing issue can damage a customer’s first impression and you may never get a chance to make another one as a result.
3. Have a professional logo – A company’s logo is a very important part of their business. Without one, it is almost like you don’t have a company. But, having just any logo is not the same as having a professionally designed logo. Like your website, your prospective customers are going to judge you in part based on your logo and the impression it gives them. Web developers employ very talented people in several different fields in order to provide a well-rounded approach to your internet exposure and marketing needs, and their graphic designers can help you develop a great logo or refine the one you already have. They will place your logo strategically on every page of your website and hopefully use it as a link back to the homepage so they can always find their way back to the beginning.
4. Make navigation a breeze – A website should not feel like a maze that your customers are afraid of getting lost in. They should be able to find their way back at any time by clicking on your company’s logo wherever it appears on any page, like discussed in the previous point. Informational company websites are often designed in a pretty similar fashion because over the years what works and what doesn’t has become pretty clear. Usually, the top of the homepage has internal links to other pages on the website that contain the most sought after and important information that people are looking for. Pricing, products, services, location and sections titled ‘About Us’ and ‘Contact Us’ all contain important information that website visitors want to be able to find easily.
5. Use a professional font – This one is pretty easy to understand and it mostly has to do with legibility. There are thousands of fonts but only a fraction of them are used on websites. This is because information should be legible and presented using typography that people associate with professional sources, like the newspaper and magazines.
Any web design agency that knows the basics and employs people who are good at what they do should be able to help your company flourish by creating you a solid online foundation. After that, they should also be able to help direct traffic to your website so you can start converting customers and be as successful as absolutely possible.